Since EU legal requirements are respected all over the world, after the product has successfully obtained EU compliance, other world markets can request a free sale certificate. Often referred to as free trade certificate, free trade certificate, etc.; this certificate can be obtained from the competent EU authorities for products that are fully compliant, to facilitate access to their own global markets.

You may need a free-sale certificate (CFS) if you export food products, non-food products, animal feed or medical devices to non-EU/non-EEA countries. This applies among others to:

  • food
  • non-food products
  • animal feed
  • medical devices
  • pharmaceutical products
  • crop protection agents
  • biocides

To receive a free sale certificate: 

  • The product must properly comply with applicable EU requirements (technical file or PIF, registration, testing, etc.)
  • The manufacturer must appoint a European Authorized Representative E.A.R.  or EU Responsible Person to ensure continued compliance
As a result, the Free Sale Certificate can only be obtained on your behalf by your current Authorized Representative or EU Responsible Person.

Free Sale Certificates are most commonly requested in the following countries:

Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador,
Egypt, India, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Peru, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Arab Emirates.